Search This Blog

Monday, January 10, 2005

Graduation.

Ah the question -- and a poll for folks reading the blog. To go to commencement or not? Here's a list of pros & cons. But first, a prequel.

I have, since March 2002, been going to the University of Phoenix Online. My classes have been 5 weeks on, the 1 week off. Solid. I am ready for the break. I've never set foot in a classroom, seen what any of my teachers or classmates look like, or fallen asleep at my desk (well, ok, that one time).

Commencement is in Phoenix, AZ July 29 & 30. (my last class is actually over April 13).

So, pros for going to commencement:
-- It's freaking commencement!
-- Recognition for working my ass off, going to school, and maintaining a 3.98 for 3 years should be something to make a big deal about.
-- Arizona is pretty
-- The drive is nice
-- I won't be working

Cons:
-- $$ for getting myself and interested family members/friends there
-- It's like 400 degrees in late July in AZ.
-- I've done this all online, how special is a building in a distant state and a zillion people I don't know?
-- Not graduating at the same time as any of the few classmates who have travelled with me
-- I'd rather visit my pals in NM if I am going that way
-- I really just want the piece of paper and potential green pieces of paper that hopefully accompany
-- Commencement is unimportant -- learning is the bomb!

So... feedback please. I am stuck in choice-mode.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"-- Commencement is unimportant -- learning is the bomb!"

Yes. Use the $$$ you would use to go to AZ to go do something that you _really_ want to do, that wouldn't require a pro/con list.

Throw yourself a graduation party regardless. That. And go out and get hammered, as any college graduate should after receiving the lovely degree.

-jonathon

Anonymous said...

Agreed with Yoni. You should use the money to have a wonderful party and then visit some friends in Arizona....or a brother in New Jersey! :) I wanted to leave my graduation early. However, mom would have murdered me, so I decided to stay.

-Yaki

Anonymous said...

Totally agree, skip commencement, throw a party, AND THEN TAKE A VACATION!!! -nes